Your AD CODE HERE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vikings rookie Dalvin Cook upbeat about ACL recovery
Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Your Google Ad Here
Vikings rookie Dalvin Cook upbeat about ACL recovery
Dalvin Cook's promising rookie season with Minnesota was left painfully short, a simple cut on the turf gone wrong in the fourth game of his career that resulted in a torn ACL in his left knee.

whose roster is full of former knee reconstruction patients. They've provided Cook with plenty of advice, though. He's been in good company with the Vikings,The devastating injury didn't keep him down for long, encouragement and inspiration.

man. It's just fun being around them. These guys," he said, adding: "This team,"I feel great, they help me get through it every day."

The motivators start with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, whose comeback from a dislocation and multiple ligament tears was even more daunting than the ACL-only recovery Cook has begun.

Bridgewater called him daily in the early post-op stage, following the surgery performed on Oct. 9 by Dr. James Andrews in Florida.

"He knows what to say. He knows how to say it," Cook said. "So it's great having him in my corner."

who's been sidelined for all but 1? games this season by residual damage related to ACL tears in 2013 and 2014,Quarterback Sam Bradford, has spent many hours in the training room next to Cook over the past several weeks.

" Cook said,"I finally get to see Sam's personality, smiling at the mention of his quiet-by-nature teammate.

soft-spoken demeanor, his first public comments since the injury against Detroit on Oct. 1 , Cook appeared as upbeat as ever. He displays a low-key,Addressing reporters in the team's locker room on Thursday, but he was all smiles during the interview session despite the circumstance.

who still leads the Vikings with 354 rushing yards. "It's what we sign up for, but you know it's part of the game," said Cook,"It's frustrating because we want to be out there competing with our teammates, so that's something I had to realize."

he ditched his crutches. This week,Last week, he resumed weightlifting. He's on track to be at full strength for training camp.

"I'm young. I'm going to heal up. I'm going to be back out there with my team as soon as possible," Cook said.

In the meantime, he has several more steps to take during a process he said "will challenge your manhood." But he's not planning to back down from it.

" Cook said. "It's just all about how you attack this thing. I just feel like it was a blessing in disguise. I probably needed a break from the hits I was taking in college,"I just think I'll just come back better than ever. It's truly my opinion, or something like that."

They hope the special PET (positron emission tomography) scans might be used to diagnose CTE in other living people,Authentic Dalvin Tomlinson Jersey, so that potential treatments can be tested — and so that the extent of the incurable and devastating disease can be assessed.

director of neurosurgery and co-director of NorthShore University HealthSystem Neurological Institute in Evanston, there was no way we could help them," said Dr. Julian Bailes,"We realized that if we could only make a diagnosis after someone was dead, Illinois.

Currently,Authentic Davis Webb Jersey, the only way to definitively diagnose the disease is by looking at the brain tissue after a person has died.

Davis,But Dr. Bennet Omalu of the University of California,Womens Sterling Shepard Jersey, Bailes and colleagues developed a PET scanning technique they hoped would show the damage before a patient dies.

including unusual deposits of a protein called tau, they scanned McNeill’s brain. They thought they saw the characteristic pattern of damage caused by CTE,In 2012,Authentic Wayne Gallman Jersey, which is linked with CTE and other degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s.

"There are certain areas of the brain that are susceptible to multiple head impacts," said Bailes.

"That’s what you are looking for -- you are looking for a scan to show you where former football players or former military veterans who are exposed to multiple blasts should be expected to have injuries," Bailes added.

and they found tell-tale fingerprints in areas of the brain that can explain the memory loss,They found that damage, emotional changes and other symptoms of CTE.

the amygdala, the amygdala,Authentic Eli Apple Jersey, some of the deep structures of the brain,"I think you can correlate the areas of damage -- in the midbrain," Bailes said.

McNeill died last year at the age of 63. An autopsy and examination of his brain confirmed the CTE diagnosis.

our patient was admitted to a nursing home for dehydration, and slurred speech, failure to thrive, progressive dysphagia (inability to eat), progressive neck and limb weakness,“During the final months of his life, incontinence,” Omalu, Bailes and colleagues reported.

Alzheimer's Prevention: Some Common-Sense Practices That May Help Slow Alzheimer's

The report also details McNeill’s decline from an intelligent, fired from job and job and, gifted football player and lawyer to a patient confused and angry because of memory loss, eventually, helpless to care for himself.

"He was a very gifted athlete. He was a very bright individual who went to law school. It was a very poignant case," Bailes said in an interview.

taking part in youth football,Authentic Mark Herzlich Jersey,McNeill started playing football at age 11, high school and college football before joining the NFL.

After leaving football he got an advanced law degree but was dismissed as a partner a few years into his second job “for lack of performance,” the report reads.

mild-mannered 'gentle giant' to a very agitated person,He "transformed from a kind," the Neurosurgery report reads.

For the next two decades McNeill moved from job to job before filing for bankruptcy 25 years after he left the NFL.

“Two years after his scan, zip his pants or tie his shoes, at age 61, including inability to button his shirts, his wife noticed progressive motor deficits, and eventually feed himself,” the researchers reported.

“She reported that he developed muscle twitching (without cramps) in his arms and decreased muscle mass in his shoulders and arms without any sensory changes. Approximately 17 months prior to death, he was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in addition to his pre-existing clinical and presumptive diagnosis of CTE.”

The PET scan is not the only potential test for CTE in living patients. Boston University’s Dr. Ann McKee said in September a test looking for inflammatory molecules called cytokines in the spinal fluid might also be used to diagnose the condition.

a former tight end for the New England Patriots,She said that Hernandez, had extensive brain degeneration.

The brain scan developed by Omalu is employs PET but uses a radioisotope that attaches to the tau and amyloid proteins that mark brain diseases such as CTE and Alzheimer's.

"Most PET scans are used for detecting cancer in your body. This is not looking for cancer -- this is looking for tau and amyloid proteins,Womens Davis Webb Jersey," said Bailes.

Overall, the team has done the PET scans on 14 retired NFL players and compared their brain scans to 28 healthy people and 24 people with Alzheimer’s.

"This is the initial report, but it’s only one subject and we need to do a lot more, the first autopsy," Bailes said.

Rams vs. Vikings: 5 key matchups to watch on Sunday

Few people, expected Week 11’s matchup between the Vikings and Rams to be the marquee game. However, if any, both teams are 7-2 and appear poised for a run at the postseason.

This game will come down to several key one-on-one matchups, Womens Wayne Gallman Jersey,particularly between the Rams’ offense and Minnesota’s daunting defense.

Sunday’s game will pit two of the NFL’s elite against each other. Griffen missed Sunday’s game against the Redskins, on the other hand, but he still has 10 sacks in just eight starts. Whitworth, has been one of the best left tackles in pass protection, allowing just three sacks with only two penalties called against him.

Griffen will certainly give Whitworth some trouble, allowing plays to develop downfield. If Whitworth can be kept on an island with Griffen, and it would be considered a win if he only allows one sack on Sunday. Keeping Griffen off of Goff will be crucial to the Rams’ success offensively, it’ll allow the Rams to send extra help Rob Havenstein’s way with Danielle Hunter on the other side.

No one can block Donald,Womens Dalvin Tomlinson Jersey, he’s going to win. Wade Phillips does a great job of moving him around the defensive line to get Donald into those situations, let’s just get that straight. If he gets one-on-one matchups, which is why he has four sacks and three forced fumbles in his last four games.

Easton will get plenty of help from center Pat Elflein and left tackle Riley Reiff, but Donald and Michael Brockers pose a different sort of threat up front. They have the ability to generate pressure inside, and he’ll certainly need it. The Vikings’ offensive line has been terrific this season,Womens Mark Herzlich Jersey, which is a quarterback’s worst nightmare.

The Vikings have one of the best wide receiver duos in the league in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. They’re difficult matchups for any cornerback group, and that’ll certainly be the case on Sunday.

Trumaine Johnson has struggled against No. 1 receivers this season, but no matter where Minnesota’s receivers line up, and it remains to be seen if he’ll shadow Diggs. Nickell Robey-Coleman will likely cover Thielen when he comes into the slot, it’ll be difficult for the Rams to contain them.

They’re by far the Vikings’ biggest threats on offense,Womens Eli Apple Jersey, turning short gains into big ones with their elusiveness after the catch. Los Angeles can’t let either player get loose and put up big numbers this weekend.

Gurley has become more of a threat in the passing game this season, but as a receiver, which has boosted his value to the Rams. He’s obviously still more of a weapon on the ground, he’s done a ton of damage.

pairing nicely with Eric Kendricks. They’ll both be tasked with covering Gurley out of the backfield and closing up running lanes,Barr is one of the fastest linebackers in the game,Authentic Sterling Shepard Jersey, and whether they’ll be able to do so will likely determine who wins this game.

he’ll limit his overall production. Sean McVay does a good job getting Gurley into space,If Barr can stick with Gurley as a receiver, but Barr has the speed to run with him. It’s just a matter of playing sound coverage on the edge in order to slow Gurley down.

Rhodes often shadows No. 1 receivers, Watkins is a better matchup for Rhodes, who’s a bigger, but that title belongs to Robert Woods at the moment. However, longer cornerback on the edge. Teams have been taking Watkins away each week, forcing Goff to look elsewhere.

largely thanks to the play of Woods and Cooper Kupp. If Rhodes does shadow Watkins all game long,That’s not necessarily a bad thing for the Rams considering how much depth they have at wide receiver, don’t expect Goff to throw his way very much.

Instead, there’s a chance the Vikings will stick Rhodes on Woods, Woods should see another heavy dosage of targets on Sunday with Trae Waynes covering him outside. Of course, which would complicate things a bit for the Rams.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  49ers signal Elijah Lee; Vikings indication Antwione Williams in the direction exum963 1 106 10-09-2017 06:34 PM
Last Post: dannly